"" Life A Bit Sweeter: US Healthcare is Still a Monumental Blessing

Monday, August 2, 2010

US Healthcare is Still a Monumental Blessing

Especially here in Washington, DC where healthcare is one of those topics that is very controversial, we may complain about our options, but in comparison to many developing countries, we are doing EXTREMELY well.  Not only do we need to help orphans but we must also take a step back and help families in struggling countries who do not have access to the basics that can save their family.  Take a look...


Liya's Ethiopia Diary from ONE Campaign on Vimeo.


Bringing one child home from a country such as Ethiopia does make the difference for that one child but creating safer birthing environments/resources for moms and basic care to children is a much larger issue that we can't ignore.  This always brings me to the question of "Why was I birthed into a country like the United States with so much opportunity and availability of funds and someone else was birthed into a land of poverty?"  As I ponder that question, I come back to the fact that we (those with plenty) are responsible for helping those with little.  It's one of the things that I will have to account for at the end of my life....poverty locally and internationally abounds and I cannot ignore it.  (see Matthew 25:31-46). 

**************
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
 34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
 41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'
 44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
 45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
 46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

1 comments:

Engendo said...

Amen!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts